Monday, May 21, 2012

The Purpose of Money; Ecclesiastes 5:8-6:12

King Solomon's Temple

In week 5 of our bible study, "A Life Well Lived" King Solomon schooled us on the topic of money.  Complete this phrase:

If only I had ______________, then I'd be happy.  There is always something better in our minds.  Satisfaction is only guaranteed for a little while.  Let me keep it real, I wouldn't mind having a BMW or a bigger house but I am thankful and grateful for what I do have, no matter what.  I used to tell myself that if I could just win the lottery, I can help so many people but God never asked me to do his job.  When He does inspire me to do something, please believe He will give me the resources to do itSomething more like common sense than money.

In Ecclesiastes 5:10 he says, "He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves abundance with its income.  This too is vanity."   Bottom line:  We always tend to think of something better than what we already have.

In 5:11 he goes on to say, "When good things increase, those who consume them increase.  So what is the advantage to their owners except to look on?"   Bottom line:  Don't let what you don't have take away from the joy of what you do have.

6:7 says, "All a man's labor is for his mouth and yet the appetite is not satisfied."  Bottom line:  Once you have eaten, you will eventually be hungry again.  The concept is the same for everything.   How many times have you desired something and once you have gotten it, eventually you want something new or better than what you already have?  I know none of you are like that but I'm just sayin.

6:9 "What the eye sees is better than what the soul desires."  Bottom line:  What you see in front of you is what you already have, which isn't always good enough.  You always want more and more of what you don't have and your soul seems to desire what you don't have.

My take away from this entire lesson is:  Money fails, homes fail, cars fail, people fail but God never fails and He will supply your every need if you get out of His way.  The best things in life really are free.

From my soul to yours,

Starla Danielle Espinoza

No comments:

Post a Comment