Saturday, November 20, 2010

Never Satisfied

The other day I was telling my oldest daughter that it is nearly impossible for us to be content as human beings.  Case in point, we were discussing all the cars that I have ever had in my life.  Chevy Monte Carlo, Mazda Protege, Nissan Altima, Nissan Pathfinder, Chrysler Aspen, Chrysler Town and Country and currently, a Nissan Quest.  From compact to mid size sedan, sport utility to mini van I have received the desires of my heart when it comes to cars.  About a year ago, I voluntarily surrendered my Chrysler Aspen because the payments were ridiculous and that was when Chrysler was going down.  We were blessed  to get a 2002 Nissan Quest for many reasons.  Not only is it more affordable, it's perfect for our family of 5.  I no longer cringe at the gas pump plus I can zip in and out of parking spots like it ain't nothing.  My point is I recently had the nerve to entertain the thought of trading in my little mini van for something "newer" and "more stylish".  Then the holy spirit helped me check myself because for one thing, we are blessed to have something reliable on top of everything else that we need in a vehicle.  Funny thing is, when I see a Cadillac Escalade roll by me, I am thankful that I don't have something that requires a minimum of $80 for gas.  Been there, done that and it ain't for me.  For me it is better to be practical than proud and we learned a lesson about being content with what we have.  Not only that but humility as well.  We have never been able to keep up with the Joneses, and where are they anyway? This crazy roller coaster reminds me of Solomon's futile pursuit of fulfillment through possessions, wealth, indulgence achievements and great fame (Ecclesiastes 2:1-11).  Not only did all fail to bring enduring satisfaction, it was "vanity and striving after the wind."  It was basically futile which means:
1. having no effective result; unsuccessful
2. pointless; unimportant; trifling
3. inane or foolish don't be so futile!


We have all done it in one area of life or another.  We have to be reminded daily that we came naked and we will return as we came.  We will take nothing from the fruit of our labor that we can carry.


                                                                         Starla Espinoza

1 comment:

  1. This is so very true, great blog my sister. I know from experience the older you get the less material things have value, they kind of dimish as once you had a big house, now you want a small house, once you wanted the fancy car now it is low maintence low gas mileage one, etc. we should be grateful for just where we are and sit back and relax with the simple things life has to offer. Great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete